Messages Received from Muslim Women’s Network UK Associates upon hearing news of Cass’s passing away:
• Faeeza, thank you for your message, I too am very shocked to hear the news. Cassandra made a great contribution to our earlier discussions (on registration of Muslim marriages). Please convey our heartfelt condolences to her family and those who were close to her.
Kind regards Stephen Hockman QC on behalf of Muslim Marriage Working Group
• Inalillahi wainailaihi rajiun. I can't believe it! I've known Cassandra since the beginning of MWN. I'm so sad to hear this :( (Anber Raz)
• 'To Allah we belong and to Him we return'. Please pass on my deepest condolences to the committee and her family. I only met Cassandra once but I remember her vividly as a passionate and dedicated worker for humanity - she had strong principles and the intelligence and compassion to implement them - a great loss to our community.
Love and Duas Fozia Irfan
• Oh my – this is terrible and devastating news. Do keep me posted on any plans you may have re: a memorial event at some point. Is there an address that I can send a letter of condolences too and any idea of funeral arrangements.
Best wishes Rokhsana Fiaz OBE
• I'm shocked and saddened by this news. It seems like only yesterday I attended the AGM where Cassandra was present. She was very lively and joyful which is why I find this news somewhat incredulous.
My thoughts are prayers are with her family and may Allah forgive her and grant her a place in Janna.
I hope you're well and wish you guys the best of luck with continuing her legacy.
• So so sorry to hear this tragic news - may Allah grant her Jannah and give her family sabr. My thought are with her family and with all of you that worked with her. It is a crushing blow to lose someone like Cassandra and she will, of course, be missed. Mashallah she achieved a great deal and leaves a valuable legacy.
May Allah make it possible for you as an organisation to fill the vacuum that her untimely death has left. He is the best of planners and will inshallah decree the best for her, her family, her friends and the MWNUK.
Hope you are well and do convey my condolences to the rest of the group.
Saiqa Aslam • Dear Faeeza,
Many thanks for letting us know.
This is extremely sad and to an extent quite shocking news especially after meeting Cassandra at the AGM. I was so taken up by her vibrancy and grace.
My prayers will be for her and her family.
• My sincere condolences on the passing away of sister cassandra - I emailed and spoke to her a few times in relation to the divorce and marriage project she was involved in - she was a true inspiration a means for motivation for me when I was truly broken - May Allah tala give her Jannah and beautiful patience to her family Ameen x Hikmah Muhammad • Dear Faeeza
I am totally at a loss for words as this is indeed very shocking and sad news!
Please pass on our sincerest condolences to Cassandra’s family and friends as they are most certainly in our thoughts at this time.
She will forever be remembered as a champion for women’s rights and I feel privileged that I was able to work closely with her particularly during my time at the WNC.
I think we could all take comfort in knowing that she leaves an exceptional legacy behind in the work of the Muslim Women’s Network UK .
Shelly Dowrich Government Equalities Office
• Faeeza and all the signatries of the received mail Assalamu alaikum I am so shocked and deeply saddened on hearing the news of Cassandras death – this is devastating news really. I reiterate all you have said in your email about her tireless work and dedication to duty and to the concerns of women throughout the world. Her loss is great and the vacuum it leaves will be hard to follow. My sincere and deepest sympathies to you all and to her family and friends.
‘From Allah we come and to Him is our return’ Wasslam Batool Al-toma
• Dear Faeeza,
I am so sorry to hear this sad news. I never had the privilege of knowing Cassandra, but I know that she worked tirelessly on behalf of others, and I am confident that her work will continue to benefit many people - her legacy will live on.
Thinking of all her friends and family,
Diane Lawrence Family Justice Team (Private Law - Domestic Policy) Ministry of Justice
• Dear Faeeza, we are in depth shock at such devastating news. Cassandra was such a beautiful warm and intelligent woman. She will be so missed by everyone who knew her. Words are just not enough at times like this. Please pass on our sincere and deepest condolences to Cassandra’s family, friends and to the Muslim Women’s Network. She will be such a great loss to your organisation and also to women’s rights in the UK and Internationally. She truly loved the Muslim Women’s network and I am sure you will all ensure that her legacy lives on. Helene
Helene Reardon-Bond OBE Head of Policy
• Hi Faeeza,
I am very sorry to hear the sad news about Cassandra Balchin.
I didn't know her well but first met her at a party in north London where I enjoyed her stimulating company. Later I was in contact with her over Baroness Cox's bill which she publicly supported.
Please pass on the condolences of both Baroness Cox and myself to her family. We are grateful to God for her life and her work on behalf of women everywhere.
With warm best wishes, Alan Craig
• I am so shocked and saddened to hear this tragic news! She will be sorely missed.
May she be rewarded for her ceaseless efforts to improve lives. Aina Khan